You could say StudentPop is a love affair. One we’ve worked on most of our adult lives.
It all started in 1989. That’s when Dawn and Cyrus started dating.
This was the year both Dawn and Cyrus would begin college. Over the course of their education, they would rack up over $100,000 in combined student debt.
They were poor, they made many mistakes, but they learned a few lessons along the way. We’re still learning, but we want to pass those lessons on.
Our Values and Mission
In 2009, Globe Student Discount was born, which was later rebranded to StudentPop.
Our mission is to educate students, educators, and parents about smart student money. You don’t have to be poor!
We’ll show you how to save, how to borrow smartly, and how to spend wisely.
Here are the values by which we strive to run StudentPop:
- Audience First: That means you come first, not our advertisers.
- Empowerment: Our goal is to provide information which makes you stronger, better informed, and feeling great.
- Completeness+Clarity: Everything can be improved by explaining things completely, and adding enough information to make it extra-clear.
- Assume Good Intent: Everyone is doing their best. Some are simply having bad days.
- Be Bold: It’s difficult to change the world when you are being meek.
- Generous: In order to succeed, we know we need to give more than we take. Win-win is always better than win-lose.
- Surprise and Delight: Who doesn’t love a bit of magic on their breakfast cereal?
This site is financed through advertising and affiliate links, but we value honest and accurate information above all else. If you have any suggestions or corrections, don’t hesitate to contact us.
Even though we got way in over our heads in debt, and made some bad financial decisions, we never stopped looking forward to the future. We got married, traveled all over the world, made friends, and laughed at every opportunity. Here’s a more recent photo of us, minus the tux and dress.