Last Updated on July 4th, 2018
ISIC, the International Student Identity Card, offers thousands of discounts to students in over 130 countries around the world. But it’s not limited to international travel, you also get access to over 125,000 offers in more than 2,300 U.S. locations as well. ISIC is a popular choice for students traveling abroad, and all cards issued in the U.S. come with international travel insurance that covers you during your travels.
What are the benefits of an ISIC card?
The ISIC is one of the most recognized names in student travel, with offices and partnerships all over the world.
With the ISIC card, you gain access to thousands of discounts in virtually every country you might travel to. In fact, ISIC boasts 150,000 total discounts around the world.
Many of the discounts appeal to travelers, with attractions, lodging, entertainment, and food being high on the list. For example, if you are visiting New York City, save $11 off the Museum of Modern Art, $50 off select Broadway tickets, and 10% off New York Pizza Tours.
Membership includes many discounts available online for purchase.
- Special deals on international flights
- Free nights in hostels
- Discounts on selected tours
- Exclusive rates on bus passes
- Accepted in over 130 countries worldwide
- Discounts include attractions and restaurants
Aside from discounts, your ISIC card allows you to purchase low-cost traveler’s insurance. Most study abroad programs have a basic insurance requirement, and the ISIC card meets the standards of most programs. Enhanced insurance programs are available for purchase for those who want extra protection. This type of insurance is great if you have a medical emergency or get your laptop stolen in a far-away place.
Who can purchase an ISIC card?
ISIC offers three types of cards.
1. ISIC, for full-time students. All full-time students qualify. The card gives you access to all worldwide discounts.
2. ITIC, for full-time teachers. This card is for–obviously–teachers. Holders gain access to slightly fewer discounts.
3. IYTC, for youth between the ages of 12 to 30. If you’re a young traveler but not a student–don’t fret! You can still purchase a Youth Travel Card which gives you access to discounts, as well as access to travel insurance.
To verify your status, you’ll need to provide proof to ISIC. Typically this can be done with a copy of your school ID card or drivers license.
How much do ISIC cards cost?
The cost of all standard cards is $20. This includes the teacher and youth cards.
Cards with “basic” insurance coverage costs $25. Cards with the “Explorer Insurance” which offer much higher levels of protection cost $199.